14 January 2008

What has happened to me?

Here we are in mid-January, which is about the time I start to get really geeked up about all the bands that will be coming to town starting next month. Except I'm really not geeked up at all.

When I opened up my Excel spreadsheet last week to get working on my 2008 concert calendar, I noticed that I hadn't updated it since mid-October. Me, the girl who used to obsessively check Pollstar almost daily; the girl who would check venue websites at least once a week because, OH MY GOD I CAN'T MISS A SHOW. Okay, I missed plenty of shows, but at least I knew about them all. Granted, there's usually little going on musically in town at the end of the year. I think I saw one show in November and that was it. Still, not even opening up the file for three months is very unlike me.

January is when I need to be adding shows to my calendar because I have exactly zero things to look forward to this month. It's cold. I'm broke. I'm holed up at home on the weekends watching football and basketball (okay, I look forward to this part).

Maybe it's just because there aren't any shows that I absolutely must see that have been booked yet. I'd like to see Super Furry Animals and The Black Keys, as I've missed each band every time they've been in town for the last few years. There are some newer bands I would like to check out (Beach House, for example). But I'm pretty "meh" about all of those.

Or am I just finally getting too old for that shit? I suppose it is possible. Probably not though, because I believe Elbow and Doves both have albums releasing this year and I will pee my pants when they show up on someone's calendar. If Interpol or BRMC come back? I'm there with bells on.

This is probably just the calm before the storm and I'll realize soon enough that I'm the same old Jess I've always been.

6 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Your knowledge of music makes me feel like a retard, and I used to be a DJ!

Jess said...

I know. I gots problems.

Jen said...

I hear Coldplay has a new album out this year. Surely you'd love to go see them.

Jess said...

Those fucks are still a band? I've actually been listening to Parachutes a bit lately.

*sigh* Where did it all go wrong?

Jen said...

Yep, there was a poll in Entertainment Weekly asking which band's new album are you most looking forward to in 2008. Options were U2, Coldplay, Madonna and I can't remember anyone else. Madonna won the poll, go figure.

BTW, Doves have a new album coming out? 'Bout time.

Jess said...

Was "none of the above" an option on the poll, too? Blech.

Last I heard from Doves they had a new album coming out this year, but it's been a while since they've sent out any updates.

I was watching "Later ... with Jools Holland" and they were on. I do loves me some Jimi, upside-down bass and all.