30 January 2008

So long, Supernatural.

Yeah, so it's not totally official yet, but Johan Santana is gone. I'm kind of surprised at how little I care. But I have been a Twins fan long enough to know that Old Man Pohlad would never loosen his death grip on the purse strings of the franchise to actually pay to keep all of the great players around.

Unlike the Kevin Garnett trade, I believed this one was going to happen from the moment I heard the first rumors about it. I mean, with KG, rumors of his being traded surfaced all the time and nothing ever happened. Sure, I was also in denial about it. But this was the Twins talking about trading away a player they wouldn't pay enough to keep. It was a no-brainer.

I didn't have as much time to get attached to Supernatural as I did to KG, either. Though I did have a similar level of platonic love for each -- that he's-so-adorable-I-want-to-shrink-him-down-and-put-him-in-my-pocket kind of love. I suppose this means that I will be able to watch Supernatural pitch if I get the opportunity.

Besides, F-Bomb is back and ready to pitch after his Tommy John surgery. That has me awfully stoked. It'll be nice to watch him pitch for a few years in a Twins uniform before he moves on to a team willing to shell out money, too. Fuck you, Old Man Pohlad!

2 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Email me at work on Thursday when you get this.

Shanks.

Big Blue Monkey said...

let's be fair. the Twins did offer Santana $20 a year for 5 years.

To call that cheap, i don't know.

That would have given him 20 million dollars when he was 33 years old, and presumably losing some pepper off his heat, yeah?

If the Mets want to promise to pay him 23 million dollars when he is 35, and probably worthless, that is their business.

I'm all for calling the Pohlads cheap old bastards who made their money by ripping off Depression era Desperates. But they offered Santana a good deal, in my mind.

It's not like every team in the leauge was after him--it was NY, NY, and Boston. Teams known for spending money like I masturbate.