16 January 2008

The New Year's Resolutioners: Couples.

Why, yes, the title of this post is a take-off on the title of this season's (?) The Biggest Loser. It seems that the people on the show are in two-person teams, but they're not all actual couples. I think some are family members or friends or some such shit. The TV on which I see it at the gym is pretty shitty and I can rarely read what it says under their names.

Okay, so I don't really know shit about the show. It's not something I'd ever watch on my own and I've only seen bits of it at the gym over the last few weeks. It's hard to figure out what's going on when there is neither sound nor closed captioning. All I really know is that those fuckers cry all the damn time. It seems like they're either working out or crying or doing both at the same time. Sure, you're going to lose weight if you're bawling all the time. But it's only water weight.

The important issue here, though, is the couple thing. I don't know if I'm noticing it because of that show or because it is in fact a somewhat new phenomenon at my gym. If the latter is the case, it might not even be new. It could just be that I'm not as deep in my workout reverie as I usually am. For whatever reason, though, it seems like a ton of the New Year's Resolutioners are paired up.

Some are chubby couples, but I did see a couple of the "cute girl, schlubby guy" sitcom-type couples on Monday. Interesting. There are, of course, lots of pairs of women walking around the track yapping about God knows what. I don't think I've seen any pairs of guys, though. They seem to either travel solo or in packs.

I guess if it motivates you to have someone to work out with, then you should do what you have to do. That is not my cup of tea, though. I have worked out alone for years. Sure, every now and again I might hop on an elliptical machine next to my yoga friend Mollie. And I'll admit that the time seems to go by faster when I'm talking to her. But at the end of the day, I want to do my own thing.

It wasn't always that way. When I wasn't playing softball in high school, I would lift weights with either my best friend or a couple guys who weren't in sports. I'd run my steeples solo, though. Early on in college, I often would work out with a friend. But the older I got, the more I just wanted to get in and do my workout and go the fuck home.

I just don't get socializing at the gym. Sometimes I'll even avoid people I know at the gym because I just don't want to talk to anyone. I'm in my own little world 90 percent of the time. It's my time to really draw myself inward and work out my anxiety or the bad day I had or just stop thinking about shit other than how many reps I've done. I can't do that when I'm chatting with a friend.

Besides, most of these pairs are going to be down to singles soon enough. You just can't keep it up; schedules change, motivation changes, whatever. It's not often you see the couples working out together by April or May.

2 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

I agree - working out alone is usually my modus operandi. not much of a talker when I'm sweaty and smell bad.

Jess said...

I know, right? And I'll never understand getting hit on at the gym.

Still, I am not averse to going to Trader Joe's or Rainbow or Target all sweaty and gross after a workout. Those poor fuckers. But dammit, it's on the way home. I'm not going home to shower and then coming back.