28 January 2008

Inky.

The tattoo bug has bitten me and is currently burrowing under my skin. Okay, so that happened probably well before I got my first tattoo at 19. But I'm feeling it big time all of a sudden. It seems I haven't had a major itch to get more ink for more than a year-and-a-half. Honestly, I'm impressed that I was able to quell the urge at the time. I don't even think I considered it last year for my birthday.

It's been more than three years since I got my last tattoo. I really am due for another one. However, this is probably a bad time to be thinking about getting a new one, what with me starting a job search and all. The three options on file in my brain could all be a bit difficult to to cover up. The bracelet on my right wrist would be tough for sure. Given that I tend to wear my hair up to give myself some air of pulled-togetherness on interviews, the Celtic tree of life on the back of my neck would be a particularly poor choice at the moment. The family crest on the inside of my right forearm might be the best option.

I've been toying with the family crest for a while now. I'd thought about putting it on the outside of my left ankle, but that just wasn't working for me. Plus, there is a good bit of yellow in it, so I have never been sure it would work all that well with my skin tone. At least I've finally decided where to put it. God, I think the inside of the forearm is the sexiest place for a tattoo. It took me a while to think it was hot on a woman and quite frankly, I'm not entirely sure it will be a good look for me. But I can't think of a better place to put it. I don't want any on my upper arms. With the geckos in the middle of my back, I think it would look weird to have something on either shoulder.

The tattoos I've gotten up to this point have been in the order I got the ideas for them. If I keep with this method, the bracelet would be next; then the family crest and then the Celtic tree of life. There's no good reason for doing it that way, I guess. Other than my long-held practice of making sure that when I get a tattoo, I've thought long and hard about it. After six, though, I think I'm no longer in danger of making a stupid, poorly-reasoned decision on a tattoo.

Perhaps the best idea will be to wait to get inked again after my employment situation is more secure. It will be a reward for me; it gives me something to work toward. And a little extra time to decide between the bracelet (I need design ideas for that, anyway) and the family crest wouldn't kill me either.

Oh, but I long to hear the buzz of the needle and feel it biting into my skin. It's delicious pain.

5 comments:

Andrew Wice said...

I hear that the butterfly tramp-stamp is getting popular again.

And barbed wire around the bicep is pretty original as well.

As for me, a jowly clown on my buttocks will be my next choice. He's got a button nose!

Jess said...

Alas, I've already got a Celtic cross tramp stamp.

You can get the barbed wire around the bicep. I'm going for the bitchin' tribal armband.

There will be pictures of this jowly clown, yes? Wait. No.

JP said...

I get the urge and then try and find something to replace that urge.. like drugs, drink, food, sex.. all the good ones to over-indulge in!

Jess said...

I can only replace the urge with other things for so long. I'm hitting that wall now.

I'm Frank said...

I don't have any tattoos and I don't think that getting one would be a good idea, at least not until I'm older. Things change in my life so frequently that in about two years, I'd probably end up regretting it.

But I figure that if I ever got a tattoo, I'd go all out and do my whole face. I would get an exact replica of my face tattooed over my existing face, except it would be shifted about an inch to the right. Then I'd go into 3D movie theatres and scare the shit out of people.