02 January 2008

I'm a winner! Again. Kinda.

I somehow managed to finish tied for third place in the I Dislike Your Favorite Team NFL Pick 'Em contest. I'd actually been in first place for a few weeks in the middle of the season. But I got cocky. Finishing in the top three helps to ease the sting of my worst fantasy football finish ever. I lost in the first round of the playoffs. However, I lost to the team I narrowly beat to win our division and who went on to win the Super Bowl. So, yay! my division.

Alas, third place isn't good enough to win me another Jesus statue. I'm still trying to get Big Blue Monkey to tell me what it is that I've won. I hope it's something good.

Sometimes, there's a voice in my head that cautions me when I play games with boys. She says that if I keep beating them, they won't want to play with me any more. But I'm still friends with The OC after consistently kicking his ass every year since he asked me to join his fantasy football league. And while I did win the IDYFT NCAA tourney pool, I only finished third in this most recent contest, so it's not like I won everything. Besides, the IDYFT boys are all such secure, manly men that I'm sure they can handle getting beat by a girl every now and again.

The voice that tells me I shouldn't be too competitive is the same one that tells me I shouldn't curse or burp in front of boys I am just meeting or might like. Sometimes I try to listen, like when I was drinking root beer at The Boy I Currently Like's place. But it was root beer! As I nearly always do, I ended up telling that whiny bitch to shut the fuck up and then I belched. He's still talking to me, so he couldn't have been that disgusted. I hope.

11 comments:

JP said...

oh god I struggle with the same stuff. I wonder where that voice comes from.. if only I could find it and destroy it!

Jess said...

I quiet it with booze, mostly.

Big Blue Monkey said...

The horribly immature boy-men of IDYFT are uncertain whether you'll be invited to any of our reindeer games ever again.

I'm sure the Boy You Currently Like is cool with burping. Naturally occurring bodily function and all that. And like you said--it was root beer.

Jess said...

Shows what you know. I'm going to play in Wice's playoff pick 'em. This I will most certainly lose, though.

And I can only hope The Boy I Currently Like is as understanding about what root beer does to a body as you are, Big Blue Monkey.

Big Blue Monkey said...

Who doesn't know what Root Beer does to the human body? It's obvious:

It infuses the body with Sasparilla Goodness.

Ask this scientician.

Jen said...

I have always been very envious of your burping abilities.

Jess said...

Aw, thanks Jen! I've been working on my technique for years.

So, all this talk about root beer had me craving some like nobody's business. I had to run across the street to get a banana for breakfast and lo and behold -- there was an A&W truck parked outside House of Hanson. It was a sign. There is now a frosty cold Diet A&W waiting for me in the fridge. Yay!

Jess said...

This root beer is delicious, but it would be even better if it was accompanied by that world-rocking pizza The Boy I Currently Like ordered for us.

The Boy You Currently Like said...

That pizza isn't meant for just anyone, Jess.

You will not get me to mention publicly that Grampa Tony's Pizza at 631 Snelling Avenue South in St. Paul is the best pizza north of Chicago.

I don't give up my secrets that easy.

Jess said...

No, it's pretty clear that you play things close to the vest.

boy you currently like said...

shit!