04 January 2008

I know this is too good to be true.

Wednesday night -- the first day back to real life after the holidays -- I was shocked at how dead the gym seemed when I got there at 6:15. It got even more weird when I went to yoga and there were only 15 people in the class. That's probably half the usual number. There seemed to be a lot of cars in the ramp, but that's pretty normal. I don't even bother trying to park there when I go to yoga. There were a lot more coats than normal hanging in the locker room, but I didn't see the people to go with them. Maybe it was due to the fact that it was 4 degrees outside and people were actually wearing coats.

Last night I showed up about 15 minutes later than my normal Thursday gym time. There were several open spaces in the parking ramp. Again the gym seemed fairly quiet. Once I got upstairs to the cardio area, it was a bit more crowded than usual, but I got a treadmill without having to wait. And when I went down to lift? There were only a handful of people around. It was busier in the weights area at 10:00 in the morning on New Year's Eve.

What the fuck is going on? Are the New Year's Resolutioners waiting until Monday to start? I know it's not that they're just not bothering to make the resolution this year. There were a ton of people in talking to the dudes who sell memberships. Oh, but if the crush this year was less than normal, it would be lovely. I've heard the same thing from people in different parts of the country, though, too. Their gyms have all been dead, too. It's creepy, but awesome. Next week will be the true test, I imagine. I probably won't show up until late on Monday. Better safe than sorry, right?

It's been really nice having small yoga classes for the past couple of weeks. I've been able to get a good spot to see myself in the mirror. And I must say, I'm kind of impressed with myself. My form is a lot better than I thought it would be. We were doing half-moon pose and I was certain I didn't have my leg high enough or straight enough, so I peeked in the mirror and nearly fell over when I saw that in fact, it looked perfect. Same with plank pose. Our instructor was taking a break to show the class how it was supposed to look, because apparently a lot of people weren't doing it right. Me? I looked just like the photo. Awesome!

I've been doing yoga off and on for God, probably six or seven years. But I took two years off when I lived in Mankato and would go for several months the rest of the time, but then get busy or I didn't like the instructor or it was on a bad night or at a bad time or some other stupid reason that would make me stop. However, I've been going at least twice a week for a year now and it's been really cool to see the progress I've made. I've always worked pretty hard on my form and there are parts of my body that have always been very flexible (hello, loose hips!), but it's really rewarding to see progress in areas where I didn't have as much strength or flexibility.

Now, of course, I have to miss class tomorrow because I'm going way out to the 'burbs to watch my goddaughter play basketball. I'll probably live, though. And I can't miss my Sunday work out again. I was without a unitard sighting last week and I feel lost. Cross your fingers for me, y'all.

8 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

I need to start doing some yoga:)

Jess said...

You totally should. The classes usually have at least a few hot, flexible women. Though, mine have old guys who fart, too.

Don't you have a Bally membership? Their yoga classes are free. I've heard bad things about Jason's class, though. Not sure where he is. And Elizabeth at Bloomington was not very good.

Renee and Marina at SLP pretty much kick ass, though.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Good for you, Jess. That's awesome. Wish I had that dedication to Yoga. It's hard to balance this big girl body on my tippy toes.

The PartyCrashers will come soon though. They always do.

Jess said...

I know. They're just biding their time this year. Sneaky bastards!

Also, I am the suck at actually balancing. Well, any standing balance anyway. It's really bad on the right side, but I usually do okay on the left. My theory is that my slightly-bigger left boob provides stability.

Thanks, Lefty, for always keeping me grounded.

Big Blue Monkey said...

You complained when the Resolutioners were going to show up in the New Year.

They didn't show up.

And you are complaining that they didn't show up?

That's odd. Pick something to root for, and stick with it. May I suggest the Washington Drunken Savages?

Big Blue Monkey said...

also, your balance sucks.

SNAP.

Jess said...

I am not complaining that the Resolutioners haven't been making my life hell this week. I'm simply wondering with the fuck is going on.

As for the Drunken Savages, I'm climbing aboard the bandwagon, if you'll have me.

Big Blue Monkey said...

Thanks for trying. Sad, stupid, Drunken Savages.