31 January 2008

Canned.

I had an inkling that it could be coming, so I wasn't completely blindsided when the boss man came into my office (after making me sit through a stupid fucking meeting, of course) and said, "I have bad news. I have to let you go."

That was that. Oh, but I can use him as a reference. There's just not enough money. I wonder whose fault that is. Could it be yours for never following up on the proposals you asked me to send out? Oh, and I'm sure you will really start trying in May to bring money in. We all heard that one before and look where that got the organization.

He gave me my paycheck (pay period ends today) and told me I could leave whenever I wanted or stay for ... I don't know. However long I wanted? Uh, yeah. I packed up my shit, got my stuff off the computer (not much, as I'd needed writing samples already) and took off. They're not screwing me out of my vacation, either, which is good.

Honestly, I don't know how they can get the work done that is out there with one full-time and one part-time person. But frankly, I don't give a shit either. It is no longer my concern.

I was a lot less upset than I imagined I would be every time I've envisioned this scenario over the years. And I've envisioned it a lot, because pretty much every job I've ever had was in jeopardy at some point. I managed to get out of those situations before anything went down, though.

I should have been more on the ball. I should have seen the signs earlier than two weeks ago. At least I saw the signs two weeks ago and started looking for a new job then. Actually, I have an interview on Monday. Of course, this means I can't get shitty drunk at my Super Bowl party on Sunday. Crap! I did get shitty drunk last night, though. Of all the nights for my yoga class to have been canceled, last night was not the one I needed.

Right now, I'm actually more worried about what the hell I'm going to do with myself all day than I am worried about money. Sure, it'll be nice to have a few days off (I've already got today and tomorrow pretty much full of activities), but after that I'll start going nuts. Daytime TV makes me insane. Guess it'll be just music while I'm job searching. I can also spend a lot of time at the gym with the old people during the day. Fun!

7 comments:

JP said...

DAMN, that sucks! Lets lift a glass on Friday for your new adventure!

Brian in Mpls said...

Sorry to hear that.


Let me know if there is anything I can do. Are you on linked in? If you want me to send out some referals let me know.

crushthemall said...

the bastards...

chin up, eyes forward (and open) and all that other stuff old people tell you to do.

good luck!

Muffy Willowbrook said...

I'm SOOOOO buying you a beer tomorrow.

Jess said...

Awwww, you guys are the best. Thanks.

Brian, I don't know what linked in is.

Christine said...

That was so much less worse than I imagined. When I got canned, I had to get out of the building right away and they packed up all my shit and mailed it me. I envisioned the guy who told me would get canned too and he did!

I want to be included in the lifting of glasses, too!

Brian in Mpls said...

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/2/164/7b1