07 January 2008

At least I know they care?

It is nice to know your family cares about you. There are probably nicer ways to receive this affirmation than the one I got yesterday. It turns out I cannot be away from my phone or computer for more than a couple hours before everyone thinks I'm lying unconscious in my bathtub or something.

I spent most of yesterday with The Boy I Currently Like. While I was at his place, I had the ringer on my phone off and it was left in my purse. I finally dug into my purse after being there for hours because I was in desperate need of some lip balm. I very nearly didn't look at my phone because a) no one ever calls me and b) I was hanging out with him and didn't want to be checking my phone and shit. It seemed like it might be a little bit rude.

Turns out it was a good thing I did check. I had seven missed calls. Now, if I didn't know any better, I would have assumed that Booty Call Matt was blowing up my phone. But since it was like 3:30 in the afternoon, I figured that wasn't the case. He never starts that shit until at least 5:00. No, it was my mom. And my mom. And my sister. And my mom. And a couple of other people.

I figured I needed to call my mom back, so I did. There's something delightfully naughty about calling your mom while you're naked in The Boy You Currently Like's bed (note: the previous sentence may not be true. I don't tell y'all everything. After all, I am a lady. Why are you laughing? I am so a lady. Shut up!) The thing is, she didn't even need anything from me. There was nothing she had to ask me or tell me that couldn't have waited until later in the evening or today.

After I finally managed to get off the phone, I figured that was that. Oh, but no. I checked my phone a little while later to find six missed calls. This time it was my sister, my brother, my dad, my sister, my sister and someone else. So, I called my sister. She didn't have anything of dire importance she needed to talk about either. Well, except she wanted to know I was alive. She was completely freaking out. "I called you and I e-mailed you and I called you again and then our brother called you and I e-mailed you again and I was about to start calling your friends, but I didn't have anyone's numbers so I was just about ready to drive to Minneapolis to make sure you were okay."

She made me feel terrible. And I felt even worse because she said my nephew could tell she was freaking out. I had to promise to not silence my phone (which I do all the damn time) and provide her with a list of some friends' phone numbers. I'm not sure how that would have been helpful yesterday, since I wasn't answering my phone at all. There would have just been more people worrying for no reason. Of course, once I saw all those calls from my family, I had a bit of momentary panic, too. Especially after the first message my mom left for me was all garbled and scratchy.

All's well that ends well, though, I suppose. I was not dead or incapacitated, just napping or otherwise occupied.

6 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

Next time call your entire family and put them on speaker phone while you are um otherwise occupied....

It makes your next family function so ackward and fun...don't thank me now thank me later;)

Jess said...

Hahahahahahaha. Ewwwww.

brightyellowworld.com said...

You know, I get this from people a lot. The thing about cell phones is that people think they have access to you all the time. I don't choose to be accessible, and so I turn my phone off. But boy, has that gotten me in trouble with friends before!!!

Jess said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets shit for being off the grid for a while.

Honestly, what's so wrong with not answering my phone or checking e-mails for a while on a fucking Sunday?

Muffy Willowbrook said...

You were having Naked Sundays weren't you?

Jess said...

Hey, what better day of the week to be naked than Sunday? Also, I'm not admitting anything!