04 December 2007

Sick day.

I guess it serves me right to get cocky about being sick without feeling sick. Now, in addition to sounding like ass, I feel like ass. But I'm still going to try to get some work done at home.

Turns out today was a good day to stay home. We're supposed to get more snow and Lord knows a hellish commute would only serve to make me more cranky than I already am.

Oh, but that's not all. My mom e-mailed my siblings and I to update us on the health of a family friend. Fredder, as we have so lovingly called him for years, and his wife are my parents' best friends. Our families grew up together. They have a daughter who was born two months after me and we were hanging out already when we were six and four months old; knocking my mom's plants over and eating the dirt. I guess that makes her my oldest friend. I spent so much time at their house as a kid. The first time we got drunk, we stole some of Fredder's beer (though, I was smart enough to drink the root beer schnapps we'd put into a pint jar, rather than the warm Schmidt's).

Fredder was diagnosed with cancer in the lining of his stomach four or five years ago. At the time, it seemed like he only had a few months to live. But some experimental treatments worked for him and he was doing well until probably this year. He's been deteriorating for the past few months, though. to the point that he's given away most of his stuff and whatnot.

Last week, his doctors told him there was nothing more they could do and he should look into hospice care. He's in a lot of pain. He can't eat and spends most of his time sleeping. My dad saw him on Saturday and Fredder said he just hopes he can make it to Christmas.

Lord knows I hate crying at work, so it's good I'm home sick today where I can be teary and red-eyed in the privacy of my own living room. Plus, the crying makes the coughing worse. I don't think I sound very pleasant at all today.

3 comments:

Muffy's Bestie said...

I am so sorry about your friend. Good day for you to be at home!

Muffy Willowbrook said...

So sorry to hear about your friend, Jess. Cry all you want at home and let it out.

Jess said...

Thanks, y'all.

At least my new tall, black boots arrived today. And they're awesome.