19 November 2007

Short weeks rock my socks.

How bad can a week really be when Monday is actually your Wednesday? At this rate, it'll be the equivalent of Friday and we'll all be out celebrating Thanksgiving Eve, the drinkingest day of the year. Hoo-fucking-ray!

Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday. It became very clear to me when I celebrated with KayGee and The Prison Librarian at my place last year. Holy shit, y'all -- it was the Best. Thanksgiving. Ever. No family stress. We were on our own schedule. We just cooked, ate, got drunk and watched football. And our food? De-fucking-licious. I ate leftovers for a week and then had to throw everything away.

This year will be more of the same, except I will have a bit of family drama. And there will be at least one other person joining us at my house.

The whole point of celebrating Thanksgiving with my friends was to avoid the family bullshit. I've managed to squeeze both friends and family in on a few occasions in the past few years. And I guess the 'rents are coming to my sister's place, so I'll have to head out to the 'burbs for a bit in the morning. Guess it's a good thing I don't care too much about the early football game.

Speaking of football -- I got the NFL Network yesterday, so I can watch the Thanksgiving night crapfest between the Colts and Falcons. Score!

Really, there probably won't be too much drama. It's just the hassle of trying to see my family before I get down to the serious business of Turkey Day with my friends.

Now, I must tackle the delicate task of time management for the rest of this week. I've done some of my shopping for Thursday. I'm making green bean casserole, oven-roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. Oh, and the appetizers. And I have to bring bread to my sister's place. I also want to make pumpkin bread to give to my sister and parents and my sister sent a ton of bananas with me last time I saw her and I'd like to make some banana bread for her and my nephew.

I think I can get the remainder of my groceries tonight and tomorrow, save for the bread. That really seems like a Wednesday task. I wanted to get some new wine glasses and some candle holders (it may be a casual Thanksgiving with my friends, but I can still try to make my place look festive, right?), but I don't know when I'll be able to do that.

There is a downfall to a short week, I guess. You can't possibly cram everything in that you want to do, but dammit I will try. I even have this ambitious idea of working out on Thursday morning. Yeah, it's a pipe dream, but I have good intentions.

2 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Holidays with your friends are so awesome! I love it when the opportunity arises to spend it with my "chosen" family over my given family. Have a GREAT time this Thanksgiving! And if I was coming to your house, I'd definitely be impressed with new candle holders.

Also - give it up on the Pumpkin Bread!! How to?

Jess said...

*makes mental note to use new candle holders when inviting Muffy for a dinner party.*

I'm totally buying them tonight. I've decided I simply must have them.

Got the pumpkin bread recipe from Virginia Belle. The fam loves it. Dad says I should sell it. You can even swap out applesauce for half the oil and use Egg Beaters in place of the eggs to cut the fat and no one will notice the difference.

Let me know if the link doesn't work. She made her main blog private a while ago, so I'm not sure if this one is or not.