05 November 2007

All Aboard!


The LRT pub crawl was a success. We had a smaller group this time, which turned out to be a good thing, as it allowed for some much-needed flexibility with the schedule.

Turned out Whiskey Junction had a $7 cover (before 9:00, even), so we had to skip that. And we decided to hang out longer at Kieran's and skip Lyon's Pub. Since Sneaky Pete's also had a cover (no drunken stripper pole dancing, sadly), we took a vote on what would be our last bar and ended up at The Brass Rail. We even got our stripper pole fix there. I was filled with school spirit while watching three boys in Minnesota t-shirts dance on the stage.

I always get a kick out of being around the gays when I'm with Macho Man, because Lord almighty, do the gay men love him. And he pretty much likes any kind of attention, so everyone is happy.

The Future Mrs. Dirk and I had talked about having a Bloody Mary taste challenge for as long as we could stand to drink Bloody Marys. I started with one at Gluek's and it was pretty tasty. Our next stop was The Rail Station. We asked our waitress if their Bloody Marys were any good and she said yes -- they were almost famous for them. I think by famous she might have meant infamous because holy shit, it was disgusting. I didn't even make it halfway through mine, thus ending the Bloody Mary taste challenge. Plus, it turned out that our next stop, The Cardinal Bar, didn't have liquor. So it would have ended anyway.

The treats The Future Mrs. Dirk and I brought along proved to be a good idea. Her cookies were fan-fucking-tastic and I got rid of nearly all of my unused Halloween candy. I'm not sure why I didn't just leave it at The Brass Rail. I think we've learned a lot of good lessons with these two pub crawls and our holiday crawl next month can only be better than the rest. Mark your calendars for December 29!

I managed to keep myself under control both fiscally and alcoholically. This was pretty exciting. I was home by about 12:45, though I had to stay up for quite a while longer and wait for Macho Man to stop fighting with his girlfriend on the phone and go home. Seriously, you can't do that at your own place? I'd like to watch the last hour of Major League in peace, please.

My body rebelled against me and I was up at 7:00 yesterday with little more than a headache. Score! I guess it was good because it gave me a ton of time to wash my sheets, go to the gym and start making cookies before The Boy I Currently Like showed up. And yet, I didn't manage to get all that done before he arrived. I think that I had too much time and underestimated how long it would take me to do everything. It was just the cookies that weren't done in time, but you know, there were fresh-baked cookies, so I don't suppose that's the worst thing in the world.

We had a lovely time, despite the fact that the lasagna I'd taken out of the freezer two days earlier was still frozen when I decided to put it in the oven. Thank you, back-up plan pizza!

I am a little disappointed because I don't know when I'll see him again. He's got some relatively pressing personal shit that needs to be taken care of and must focus on that for a bit. It sucks, but I'm okay with it. 'Cause you know, I'm all supportive and shit.

10 comments:

Muffy Willowbrook said...

I am IN for the Holiday Pub Crawl! I've got my calendar cleared and ready to consume large amounts of alcohol. I'll start preparing tonight.

Some deep pressing personal shit? Can't he multi-task?

Jess said...

Oooooh, I admire your drinking ethic, Muffy! You'll do nicely on the pub crawl.

I don't think boys are anywhere near as good at multi-tasking as we women are. There may even be actual scientific evidence to back my statement up. I might also be imagining that, but I'm pretty sure it's true.

Besides, this way I can focus on my drinking prep and making the holiday pub crawl the Best Pub Crawl Ever.

Jen said...

Ooh ooh can I come?

Jess said...

Hells yeah! I'm taking that whole week off work already.

You deserve a nice Christmastime trip to Minnesota.

Jen said...

Oh man, I may seriously have to think about coming up there and freezing my nips off!

Love the pics (especially the one of you in the hat)! And is that Macho Man??

Jess said...

Hey, it might not even be that cold. Who knows?

Yes, that is Macho Man. I can't possibly imagine what would have given that away.

Jess said...

P.S. to Muffy and anyone else interested whose e-mail I don't have -- drop me an e-mail at iwastoldtherewouldbebacon@gmail.com so I can include you on all the pub crawl e-mails. If you want, of course.

JP said...

Pub crawls are dangerous, so very very dangerous (well maybe just for me they are).

Jess said...

They can be very dangerous indeed, JP. But ... well, it's a pub crawl! You're supposed to get shitty drunk and act like an idiot. What better time to do that than the holidays and with a bunch of strangers and/or your friends?

blythe said...

i am inspired. except, in norman, ok you can only do a fratty bar crawl. damn.