22 October 2007

Stat trackin'.

I added a SiteMeter stat tracker to this here blog a few months after I actually started writing it. It's all kinds of fun. I can figure out what the hell happened when visits suddenly skyrocket (Hi, MNspeakers!). Sometimes it's hilarious to see where someone has linked my blog. I can see what bizarre search terms lead people here (with the weather turning colder, it seems everyone wants to know about beard conditioners).

There's a less-fun side to the stat tracker, though. I got a bit obsessive last week about checking on obsessive visits to the blog. Is it really necessary to visit 10 or 15 times a day? I mean, I write fairly often, but not that often. I've been somewhat cautious about what I've written because I don't want to get any more freaky e-mails, which came in the midst of all the obsessive blog visits.

I really dislike feeling like I have to censor myself so as not to set off someone else's crazy. But I really don't want to deal with someone else's crazy. I guess that's the trade-off I have to make. Maybe I shouldn't even be writing this, but fuck it. I am.

10 comments:

abbersnail said...

I hear you on that one. I caught the ex-girlfriend of a guy I briefly dated checking my blog obsessively. It was a major factor in ending our relationship. Gah!

Jess said...

Ewwww.

Jen said...

Lord have mercy. The things a girl has to do these days to stop the crazy.

blythe said...

i can't only imagine search words since your blog mentions bacon. must be vastly entertaining. bees don't really get a lot of attention. also, only 4 people read my blog, so... so much for sitemeter.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

So, I'm totally NOT stalking you - I just have a job that requires me to keep my eye on stock prices and the market every second of every day and I usually have to close my internet 15 times to get through one post. I am not psycho - just more of a really bad case of ADHD.

Jess said...

Muffy, darling, you can stalk me all you want.

Blythe, you and your "nobody reads my blog" schtick is a bald-faced lie! Unless you and Shain have devised some sort of network of aliases you use to comment on your won blog. In that case, you're diabolically clever!

Big Blue Monkey said...

I was just searching for buffy millowbrook, and misspelled things, and here I Find Myself.

Not that you aren't special, Jess. It is "Jess", right?

But if someone could point me towards Buffy Millowbrook, my elementary school golf partner, I'd Most Certainly Appreciate It. (this Muffy Willowbrook of yours seems to be a cheap, low-rent facsimile). No offense, Muffy.

Jess said...

As far as you know it's Jess. Like I'd divulge my super-secret, real-life identity to you. Ha!

JP said...

I'm totally stalking you, and its all about my inability to relate to the real world. SORRY... think of it as a good thing, someone really likes you!!! Besides I'm trying to catch up on all your archives.. wow that takes a while.

Jess said...

You know, I'm starting to see that I should focus on the positive stalking that gives me the warm fuzzies instead of the variety that makes me feel creeped out.

Thanks, y'all!

JP -- how did your hair drama turn out? Mine has been driving me batty all week.