24 September 2007

You always want what you don't have.

The grass is always greener on the other side and all that. Women with straight hair want curly hair. Women with curly hair want straight hair. Women with flat butts want junk in the trunk.

I just got back from the bathroom where I had a conversation with a woman who works down the hall. She's a curly, too. But her hair has tighter and more uniform curls than mine. I always wish my hair was as curly as hers whenever I see her. So, of course she says to me today that she loves my hair and wishes hers was more like mine. I told her that I wanted my hair to be more like hers.

At least we were coveting each other's curly hair and not wishing to have straight hair. Like my boobs, my hair can be a pain in the ass. But at the end of the day, I never straighten it and I wouldn't cut it off for anything in the world. My stylist would never allow it, anyway. Since she does my hair for free, if she says it stays long, it stays long. Besides, when I'm having a good hair day, my hair really does look pretty sweet.

It's weird how women are sometimes so eager to talk to random strangers about their hair or body. Like the woman who accosted me in the Aveda store at Southdale a few years ago. I had these bright red streaks in my hair at the time, and they did draw a lot of attention. So, I really wasn't surprised when she asked me about them. Then, of course, she moved on to my boobs. She said they looked great and asked what size they were. And if they were real. When I told her, she said, "That's what I wanted! But the doctor only gave me a C cup."

How do you respond to that? I hightailed it out of there before she asked to feel me up.

No comments: