14 September 2007

I think I hate the Fine Line.

I came to this realization on Wednesday night, when I was at the Fine Line Music Cafe with the World's Worst Wing Woman to see Editors. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I really didn't want to be at this show. However, despite my telling the World's Worst Wing Woman that 1) I really didn't like Editors' new album, and 2) I doubted I wanted to go to the show, but I would think about it, and 4) make a decision in the few days before the show ... she bought me a ticket two weeks ago.

However, this is not the first time I've had a less-than-stellar experience at the Fine Line. I can rarely ever find a good spot on the floor to see anything. For whatever reason, it seems like there are way more tall guys at Fine Line shows than at any other venue I frequent. Even if I'm not standing around a bunch of guys who are 6'3" and taller (where are these guys when I'm out at other places?), I can't seem to find a decent place to stand.

And then there are the suburbanites who wouldn't be caught dead setting foot in a club like First Ave. These are the people who aren't so much going to a show as just getting a night out on the town -- and acting like it's the first damn time they've been out in months. They're the people who talk all through a show and pay absolutely no attention to the band at all. I realize they paid their admission and have as much right to be there as I do. However, that doesn't give them the right to ruin my experience, does it?

I know what you're thinking here: "Jess, you are such an urban elitist; such a music snob." You know what? It's abso-fucking-lutely true. I'm not knocking older people who go to shows. Lord knows I'll be one of them in the not-too-distant future. I see them at other venues, but they don't act like they've never been outside the house when they're at First Ave or the Varsity.

Then there's the whole, it takes for-goddamm-ever to get a drink. An expensive drink. Of course, that's a problem at most venues. It just seems much worse at the Fine Line. The World's Worst Wing Woman's assholery at the show on Wednesday night don't really factor into my hatred of the Fine Line, but it's good to know that some things in life remain constant. I guess.

I've seen some of my favorite bands at the Fine Line -- South, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Doves and Elbow. However, I've seen them all play better shows at other venues. Well, not Doves. They've canceled every show they've been set to play here since that Fine Line show with Elbow from probably four or five years ago.

Thankfully, there are plenty of other awesome venues in Minneapolis. And I never have gone to many shows at the Fine Line, anyway. This just means my decision about whether or not to see The National on Thursday has gone from agonizing to easy. There probably aren't tickets left for that show anyway. And the choice between seeing Clap Your Hands Say Yeah at the Fine Line or the craphole that is the 400 Bar has been made for me, too. I should probably check on tickets for that.

3 comments:

justacoolcat said...

I agree. I've always viewed the Fine Line as a necessary evil.

Paulie said...

Yes, Fine Line is weak - I totally agree about the idiots who seem like they are out for their quarterly outing. I'm going there tonight, though...

Last week I also added Trocaderos to my list of clubs I'd rather not go to, unless I really wanna see the music.

Jess said...

I'm terribly glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates it. Stupid 400 Bar sold out for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, so I will have to suck it up and go to the Fine Line if I really want to see them. Dammit.

I've heard really bad things about Trocaderos. So bad that I probably won't ever go there.