24 July 2007

Back to the world.

The class reunion wasn't terrible. As I'd figured, the dreading was all for nothing. I don't know why I do that. Still, I felt kind of like an outsider (not unlike how I felt in high school). I was damn near the only person there who was single and/or childless.

And Lord knows I do not want to be married nor do I want to have kids. But that doesn't stop me from feeling like I'm doing something wrong or weird when all of these other people I've known for years and years are doing that. Then again, none of them can understand how I could not only tolerate living in Minneapolis, but actually enjoy it. Shit, I revel in it.

Going home totally fucks with my head.

I feel like I'm all kinds of messed up at the moment. On Friday, as I was on the bus on the way home from work, I saw one of my many former bus crushes with what appeared to be a girlfriend. Now, I remember that my bus crush on him ended rather abruptly -- when I heard his voice. Dear, sweet Christ. He had the most annoying voice ever. And so I don't know why seeing him with a girlfriend made me feel like the world's most undateable loser, but it did. Why it's still weighing on my brain today is beyond me. It's probably all hormonal and will pass, but that doesn't make it any less sucky.

Side note: I managed to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows without anyone ruining it for me. I feel like that's an accomplishment. I don't think I'm quite as sad about it being over as I thought I'd be. Besides, I'm going to jump right back in to The Order of the Phoenix after seeing the movie on Friday. I won't say another word, lest I ruin it for someone else. And I don't want to be that asshole.

3 comments:

Mr. Shain said...

jk rowling's insipid prose didn't ruin it for you?

Jess said...

I'm not gonna lie -- I totally cringed at some things. I don't really recall that ever happening in any of the previous books.

Still, why you gotta hate on our HP fun?

Christine said...

I love how once J.K. Rowling becomes a huge worldwide successs that it makes her somehow a bad writer. It's like the John Grisham effect and people want to think that they only way they've become successful is because the writer has sold out in some way or is a hack.

But how can that work? Obviously, it wasn't a mistake that all seven of Rowling's books are best sellers. Grisham is another story.

On a side note, I once halted a bus crush because I realized the book he always read on the bus was a bible.