11 June 2007

Boy crazy, Part Deux.

My boy-crazy, work-avoiding state last week led me to post a short, vague ad on Craigslist on Monday. Surprisingly enough, I received at least one response from a guy who seemed entirely too cool not call on Tuesday (and talk to for an hour) and then meet for drinks on Wednesday. And then meet again at the Slats show on Saturday.

I always hesitate about telling my friends when I meet someone because I always think talking about a guy will jinx things. Yeah, it's ridiculous. But I can't help it because IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAPPEN. Seriously. Though, I did tell a couple friends on Thursday. Then he met a those friends and a couple more on Saturday and Malina has put the over/under on when the rest of The Committee for Jess's Social Life will hear about him at 2.3 days. And we're taking the under on that one. Especially for those who are regular readers of this here blog.

When everyone met Macho Man at my Super Bowl party, they all talked to each other about whether or not there was something going on between us (not on my side) and then asked me what was up. I was amazed that a) they all thought he liked me and b) they were so inefficient about their discussions. I'm hoping that this time they take my advice and have a meeting or a conference call.

I do so love my friends.

So, yeah. I have to try not to get too far ahead of myself, which is a struggle for me. Usually my wild imagination takes off on worst-case scenarios when things are bad. I remember when I started looking for the apartment in which I currently live when the writing was on the wall about the condo conversions at my old place. Once I found my awesome apartment, Whatshisfuckingface mocked me a little. Apparently, my worryings during the search (to him, anyway) were something along the lines of, "Oh my God, what if I don't find a place in time? What do I do then? I'll have nowhere to go and I'll end up living in a box on the streets and being raped by a homeless guy." Sadly, he probably wasn't exaggerating much.

I'm not nearly as bad when it comes to getting ahead of myself about good things. I can barely envision a third date, much less be one of those girls planning marriage and kids within days of meeting a guy.

Hopefully I'll get to see him this week since I'm heading home on Friday to get my hair done and partake in the Hay Daze festivities. These festivities include drinking horrible cheap beer with my brother, his friends, our cousins, my friends and people I only see once a year on Hay Daze Saturday up at the beer tent. Small town festivals are a thing of beauty.

My fear of jinxing things is so strong that I'm having trouble hitting the "publish post" button. *deep breath*

16 comments:

blythe said...

you gotta keep posting. must live vicariously through someone else's romance.

Jess said...

I'll do what I can. Though, I'm not sure anyone would really want to live through the inevitable disappointment with me.

Jerious Norwood said...

So did you guys smooch or what?!? I believe we're entitled to details. Not necessarily lascivious, though it'd be preferable.

Jess said...

A lady never tells!

Jerious Norwood said...

That's obviously not true, Jess. You've already gossiped about it with your friends.... admit it. Come on.

Don't you feel better. Now, spill the beans.

Jess said...

Are you insinuating that I'm not a lady? You've been reading the archives, haven't you?

Jerious Norwood said...

Its more that you read IDYFT. I'm pretty sure that speaks to the moral laxity a fallen women. Not that there's anything wrong with that... in fact its something to be encouraged.

Jess said...

I probably don't need all that much encouragment.

For reals though, my friends actually know very little about any of this. Save for the two who were at the Turf Club with us on Saturday night.

Jerious Norwood said...

What? Now I don't matter as much as your two friends at the Turf club? Typical. I mean, come on, if your not going to share the intimate details of your personal life with anonymous people on your blog, pray tell where. If not now, when? If not here... well you get the idea. Plus at this rate, you're going to have to make up juicy details to make all of this unsightly pleading worth my while.

Jess said...

Oh, don't be jealous. They only matter more because they actually saw us kissing in the basement.

Jerious Norwood said...

You were making out in basement of the Turf club? Dirty. And I don't just mean that in moral sense. You could catch something that way.

Jess said...

Nah, the new owners cleaned it up quite nicely a year or two ago.

Jerious Norwood said...

Well anyway, I'm glad to see that you do indeed heart dirty rocker boys. Is his name Ryan by any chance?

Jess said...

No, his name is not Ryan. I'm still trying to come up with a blog nickname for him, should it become necessary.

Also, I think this is the most comments on any post here at I was told there would be bacon. It's like, a momentous occasion and shit. Drinks all around!

Jerious Norwood said...

I suggest using his real name. Nobody would ever suspect that kind of audacity.

Jess said...

I could give him a "real" name that's still fake. Like ... Aloysius or Detlef or something.

Actually, I kind of like Detlef. It reminds me of the time I saw Detlef Schrempf at City Center.