15 May 2007

I don't get it.

After yesterday's Blog Stalker reappearance, I've been thinking about why someone would bother to spend time reading a blog they quite obviously dislike. That's confusing enough. But taking the time to leave catty, anonymous comments? What's the fucking point?

If I dislike someone's blog, I just stop reading it. I used to love to read Paul Shirley's work on the Suns' website or for ESPN.com or his MySpace blog. Over time, I started getting kind of annoyed by his attitude. Then there was a day he wrote something that pushed him into pompous douchebag territory and I stopped reading.

I don't think I can link to said entry because you must be a MySpace friend to read his blog, but here's a snippet:

The fun is had in confusing stupid people. They can't tell if we're joking or serious. Since we are shallow humans who get off on the misery of others, this brings us joy. When John said that the girl at his side didn't believe him, I knew that we were playing the four-brothers game. I glanced at her, took in her caked-on makeup and dull appearance and then responded. I assumed that—even though she was dressed in a manner befitting a junior college cheerleader—she must have been smart enough to navigate a fifteen-minute conversation with my peers.

Incorrect.

I said, in mock horror, "Well, then she must be stupid."

I said it just loud enough for her to hear, but quietly enough that she should have known that I was acting as if I were telling John in confidence.

She didn't pick up on my intent.

She did, however, reach up and slap the everliving shit out of me.

I'm fine with mocking dumb people. I do it all the time. But I can't imagine a situation where I would tell some dude I didn't know that he was stupid. Because he doesn't know me and my sense of humour. And because it's just a shitty thing to do. However, I wasn't going to post a comment to Paul Shirley's blog telling him what an asshole I thought he was for doing that and that he probably deserved to be slapped. Why the fuck would he care what I think? I'm not going to waste my time and energy (though I just wasted time and energy looking up that damn blog entry) to tell him that. I just stopped reading.

I stopped reading Bill Simmons ages ago. Why? Because he's a tool. End of story. I'm done reading him and I'm not going to bitch about what he is writing because I couldn't possibly care less any more. As a matter of fact, I stopped reading Page 2 entirely quite some time ago because I think the whole thing went in the shitter.

Maybe it's a necessary catharsis for Blog Stalker. I don't know. Personally, I have better things to do with my time than reading something that drives me to annoyance. He/she can go ahead and register if he/she still wishes to comment, but I'm no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you're going to talk shit, don't be a pussy about it.

Random side note: My mom had made tator tot hotdish for my brother a couple weeks ago and had frozen some for me. I brought it back with me on Sunday and had some for lunch today. It was so oddly satisfying. Bless those Lutherans and their cream of mushroom soup.

5 comments:

Christine said...

You can't try to understand Blog Stalker. It's like trying to understand Mohamed Atta.

Jerious Norwood said...

What do you want to know about old Mo?

Jess said...

Who the hell is Mo? (I'm kinda drunk, so I might have missed something.)

Christine said...

I'd like to know how old Mo finds Supermax these days. BTW, I met Coleen Rowley at the May Day Parade in Minneapolis this year. She was the FBI agent who alerted the FBI about Atta back in August, 2001.

Cool lady.

Jess said...

Oh, I know who Mo is now. I should maybe read all of the comments before commenting on the most recent one.