01 May 2007

Happy music dork.

I spent an inordinate amount of time yesterday compiling my 10-song request list and three-song set for today's Radio Free Current. I was actually looking forward to sitting at my desk all day and listening to hear if anything I requested (and any of my comments) made it on to the airwaves. Because I'm a major dork. It's hearing the things other people have requested, too. I give major props to the person who requested Elbow's "Any Day Now."

What I didn't know about was the hourly poll featuring songs from one of 15 "core" artists, where we get to vote which Johnny Cash, Pixies, The Clash or Dan Wilson/Semisonic/Trip Shakespeare song the DJs would play. The noon poll was for Beth Orton and the winning song was "Concrete Sky."

I was pretty stoked because "Concrete Sky" was one of my requests. I was even more stoked when Steve Seel read my comment about the song on the air. Whoooooooo! And 15 minutes later was Gomez's "We Haven't Turned Around." That song was on my list, too. And apparently, it was my request, because I am Jess from Minneapolis and I totally said that (at 1:18 p.m.).

Yes, I'm entirely too excited about this. I can understand people being completely confused as to why I would be so excited. There is the aforementioned dorkiness. The songs I chose represent a pretty significant time in my life and at the same time, they really make me appreciate the fact that The Current exists. I can't tell you how great it is to have a radio station that plays music I love for most of the day; where I can hear Mary Lucia play Tone Loc or LL Cool J in the middle of the afternoon or hear Rick James followed by Franz Ferdinand and Marty Robbins. I don't have to work nearly as hard to find new music today as I did in the days before The Current hit the airwaves.

I don't think I can adequately explain it. I get that way about music fairly often.

2 comments:

blythe said...

oh man. i totally forgot how much i love beth orton until right now. sweetest decline... so great!

Jess said...

My request list also reminded someone of how good Ed Harcourt is.

Even though "Concrete Sky" is my favorite Beth Orton song, I think Central Reservation is by far her best album. I'm not even sure I listened all the way through to her latest one.