26 April 2007

You can now send me text messages.



Or send them to the blog, really. Why would you want to do something like that? Quite frankly, I'm not really sure. But why the hell not?

Jayniek over at Critical Fluff hooked me up with an invite to Wiffiti and since she was nice enough to do so, I couldn't not follow through.

Because I'm something of a moron, it took me forever to figure out how to send a text, what with the "text @whatever message" instructions. It made zero sense to me. So, in case you're as dumb as me (and not that any of you dear readers are), here are the step-by-step instructions. I am assuming you know how to send a normal text message here. If you've not gotten that far with life, I'm afraid I can't help you.

1. If you want your name to come up on your texts, as opposed to the wiffitiXXXX (XXXX being the last four digits of your phone number), you should first create a text message thusly: name (insert your name here), then send the text to 25622. (Edit: I screwed this up, but it's correct now. Sorry. I did say I was a moron.)

2. Any other text you should wish to send should essentially be the same: @bacony and then whatever you want to say, then send.

So, what are you waiting for? If anyone uses it, I'll probably move it somewhere it will be visible (add it to the header?), so you can see the fruits of your texting labor.

6 comments:

Dan said...

Hey Jess
Thanks for being a beta user.
Once someone sends their first Wiffiti message to your screen, if they want to send you further messages, they only need to send the message, not the @bacony.

So, for instance, if my first message to you was:

@bacony Do Bacos count?

Then my second message might be exactly thus:

I've answered my own question...No.

And since I last used your Wiffiti screen, the system "knows" me - and it knows that I want to continue texting the BACONY screen.

Hope that is simple enough

Jess said...

Thanks, Dan! That makes it much easier. And it's totally simple enough for me.

I shall test it now, just to make sure my wee brain got it right.

L'Austin Translation said...

I can't figure it out... but I can barely text message, so that's not surprising.

Jess said...

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure how else to explain it to you. Seriously, though, don't feel bad. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, either.

blythe said...

one more new technology might kill me. i just figured out technorati. but not really. i got the same email. worth it?

Jess said...

You got the Wiffiti e-mail, Blythe? You should do it. I'll totally text you.

For the record, Technorati still confuses me.