06 April 2007

Musical melancholy.

I was going to write a big, long entry today about music and how things change when you're a fan of a band when they're not very big and then they become this huge sensation, but I don't really feel like it anymore.

This is all because I'm going to see Snow Patrol tonight at Northrop Auditorium on the University of Minnesota campus. I didn't really even want to go to this show, but my sister and Carrie did, so I said, "Oh, what the hell." Northrop is a fairly shitty venue. It's old and has poor sightlines and the sound is less than stellar. And it's pretty big -- the capacity is something like 5,400. It's also where my undergrad commencement ceremony was held.

I saw Snow Patrol for the first time in 2004, I guess. It looks like that was when Final Straw was released. The show was in the Ascot Room at the now-defunct Quest Club. It was small. I couldn't get anyone to go to their first three Minneapolis shows with me, except Jen when she came to visit from South Carolina. I even had four free tickets to their second show here and NO ONE would go. Now everyone loves them. Go figure.

So now I have to fight a huge crowd full of teenagers and see them in a shitty venue and it makes me kind of sad. I still love them, even though they're ridiculously popular now and my friend the Macho Man mocks me for liking them. Shoot, I loved them when Carrie mocked me constantly for liking them.

And the chances of me hearing them do "An Olive Grove Facing the Sea" are waning each time I see them. It's my favorite Snow Patrol song. It appears on their second album, When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up," which wasn't released the in U.S. until after Final Straw was a huge hit. But they've done it every time I've seen them thus far. I just think my luck has run out, especially since Gary said before they played it at First Ave in September that they hadn't played it in a while. Save for the night before in Chicago.

Basically, I wish I hadn't wasted my money on a ticket to the show. Oh well. Maybe this is all due to the fact that I'm in a very blah mood today.

This turned out to be a long post about being a fan of a band that gets really popular. I could write a ton more, I'm sure. But if I can't be bothered to do it, I hardly think anyone could be bothered to read it.

2 comments:

blythe said...

i totally know how you feel, but not entirely. i am so into cold war kids (i know how you feel) it's not even funny. they blew up at sxsw and they're all over the blogs now. damn them. they were my little secret. but not really. you know what i mean.

Anonymous said...

I was born in a bed full of wetness.