24 April 2007

I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

I was walking around Lake Calhoun last night after work, as I am wont to do when the weather is nice. There are many annoying things that can happen when you walk around Lake Calhoun, as well as a few delightful things. I've written about many of them before.

Last night, however, there was something I'd never seen -- little kids using remote control trucks on the walking path. And I'm talking little kids; two or three years old. I thought the first one was odd enough. Then I came across another and it seems like perhaps there is a trend in the making.

What in the name of all that is holy would make someone think allowing their kid to operate a remote control vehicle on a crowded path full of walkers, joggers, dogs and strollers is a good idea? Someone is going to get hurt.

In a somewhat related development, last week I saw a girl dribbling a soccer ball down the path. Last night, a tiny boy of maybe two was bouncing one of those big, bouncy balls (you've seen them in the giant cages at Target or whatever) as he toddled down the walking path between and behind three women walking abreast (thanks for sharing the path, skanks). And I saw two boys dribbling a soccer ball across Lyndale at 31st street around 5:30. Yeah, that's safe.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people? These morons (the parents/guardians/whoever) make the douchesticks who routinely come to a dead stop in the middle of the path with their stroller and dog for no apparent reason look completely reasonable. Maybe not the douchesticks who stopped for no reason where the path narrows and becomes two-way as it goes over the channel between the lakes. They were special.

I don't want to get hurt while I'm out getting a bit of a workout and enjoying the weather. I'd like it even less if I was forced to stomp the fuck out of your kid's remote control truck because he ran it into my shin. Remember, I don't hate your kids, I hate you because you let your kids run wild and do stupid things.

7 comments:

Edward Buendia said...

Meh... ease up! Such a Downer! Let the kids play with their RC trucks. Come to think of it, I always wanted a RC car as a kid... and I never got one. Emotional Scars I tell ya... Sniff. I may blog about my elusive RC truck...

Christine said...

Yeah. I feel bad for the city kids. Without sizable backyards of their own, they are forced to play in public/crowded areas such as Lake Calhoun. Sucks to be them. When I was kid, I had the run of about 10 square miles all to myself. That's what you get when there's now 6.5 billion people in the world. Poor little kiddies. :(

Jess said...

Again, I ain't hatin' on the kiddies. And quite frankly, acres and acres of land out in the country (and a gravel driveway) aren't a damn bit useful when you're trying to play with a remote control car, shoot hoops or ride your Big Wheel.

How 'bout playing with that truck on the sidewalk in front of your house?

Also, my brother had a couple of remote control trucks. They weren't that great.

Christine said...

Exactly! With gravel roads, enormous fields and hundreds of trees to climb, you really don't want to play with a remote control car. It's totally pointless then!

Jess said...

Well, I didn't want to play with a remote control car. However, I totally wanted to ride my Big Wheel and I wanted to roller skate and shoot hoops and I couldn't do any of it because there was only gravel and grass on which to do it.

I hated living in the country.

Christine said...

Riding Big Wheel on gravel = Not good.

Also, I thought remote control cars were kind of boring even though I had a big driveway.

Green Machines, however, were the bomb! Remember those?

Edward Buendia said...

What are you talking about?! Gravel roads are THE BEST for RC racers and such... girls.