07 March 2007

No longer batting .1000

Last night I was supposed to see Tokyo Police Club open for Cold War Kids at the absolutely gorgeous Varsity Theater in Dinkytown. It wasn't until after we had gone into the theater and been there for 20 to 30 minutes that we found out Tokyo Police Club had canceled.

Now, I'm pretty good about checking up on shows before I go. When it gets to be the day of the show, I'm going to rely on the venue for such information. If you go to the Varsity's website right now (or had visited yesterday during the day or last night), you'll see Tokyo Police Club still listed. The Varsity didn't send out any bulletins on MySpace to say one of the bands had canceled. There wasn't even a hand-written sign on the doors. Do they feel they don't need to inform anyone because it's not the headlining band? Newsflash! Some people go to see the opening bands.

I'm still kinda pissed. I finally tracked down the "news" on Tokyo Police Club's website last night when I got home (after a stop at the Fetus to pick up new music to soothe my tortured soul). That news was posted on Monday, so I would figure that the Varsity should have known. I could have sold our tickets. The show was sold out. Instead, I saw some shitty band open (The Delta Spirit) and we left before Cold War Kids because I really can't stand them.

So, thanks Varsity Theater. You suck. You were so close to becoming my favorite venue in town. It should be noted that I can hold a grudge for a long time. Unfortunately, my desire to see a band will probably win out over holding a grudge that the entity the grudge is being held against is completely unaware of.

Cold War Kids are on The Current right now. How terribly fitting. I'm really hoping one of the upcoming shows next week or later in the month is completely mind-blowing (and surprisingly so) to make up for this huge disappointment. Yeah, I know it's silly to be upset about this still, but dammit, I wanted to see the band. Plus, I paid for a ticket and spent money on beer and food before the show.

And now on to two totally random things.

I've had an unruly strand of hair that's been wreaking havoc this week. It is in the front and apparently does not want to go with the hair on one side of my head and sure as hell won't be seen with the hair on the other side of my head. It goes in the middle. I'm like the Little Girl Who Had a Little Curl. Though, while it is in the middle of my forehead for the most part, it's really long, so it's not exactly little. However, like the Little Girl, when I'm good ... blah blah blah.

On Sunday night I had a dream that I was hanging out at Liquor Lyle's with Kevin Garnett. Apparently, I was going to interview him for my blog (I may have a little I Dislike Your Favorite Team on the brain). Alas, KG and I were having such a blast just hanging out that I never got around to doing the interview -- we even talked about paring it down to three questions, but that didn't happen either. I can't even stay focused in a dream, for Pete's sake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blah, Blah Blah. Aren't you a little too old for the band scene? You're old enough to be some of those kid's mom, you know.

Jess said...

Yes, I know. How dare I enjoy music at my age.