06 March 2007

I'll tell you what I'm not okay with.

If you read the online edition of the Minneapolis Star Tribune or you ride or see Metro Transit buses around town, you've no doubt seen these ads featuring a shitload of dead cockroaches, or worse, dead mice and some ad copy about whatever is in cigarette smoke or second hand smoke also kills bugs and mice, followed by "Are you okay with that?" or something. I don't know for sure what they say because I'll be goddamned if I'm going to look at a picture of dead mice. It's an ad campaign from Clear Way Minnesota, which I'm going to go ahead and guess is an anti-smoking group.

You know, I'm pretty much okay with the ad featuring the dead cockroaches. I'm not afraid of bugs. And you see dead bugs every day. It's the dead mice that bother me. Now, dead mice are better than living ones, but regardless, I don't want to look at them. I don't want to think about them. I certainly don't want to have to half close my eyes every time I click a link to a story on the Strib in case I get the dead mice ad.

And you know, it is especially appropriate when I'm reading a recipe in the Taste section. Let me tell you, there is nothing that makes a recipe look more appetizing than a picture of several dead mice directly above it. Delicious!

Oh, but the best part is this: when I got off my bus downtown today and watched it pull away, I saw the dead mice on the side of the bus.

Let me tell you something, Clear Way Minnesota: I'm *this* close to taking up smoking just to spite you for your disgusting fucking ads. I've never smoked a day in my life, but there are so many anti-smoking ad campaigns that drive me so absolutely crazy that I want to take up smoking for spite.

Thankfully, I'm not so insane as to actually follow through.

No comments: