10 January 2007

With renewed fervor.

Great. Barbaro has suffered a setback. This means, of course, that the Barbaro message board is getting even more action than normal. I'm sure the servers at the University of Pennsylvania are groaning under the weight, because there are plenty of freaks who post there on a daily basis. Granted, sometimes it's difficult to tell which of the batshit insane messages are real and which ones come from inspired Deadspin commenters. That just makes the real messages all the more frightening, I think.

My one,only & precious Bobby: I'm so distressed for you & will hold you, your dr's, your owners,trainers,& jockey in my heart today & will pray many times. You keep fighting, remember you're Barbaro! Sending many kisses w/mtns of love to you,
J Bell, 54; Pulaski, VA,
posted on 2007-01-10 11:52:12

Dear Barbaro, You are a hero in every sense of the word. You are truly loved by millions of people. I think about you everyday and hope you will feel better again soon. Hang in there dear Barbaro. One day I'll hang your picture in my house.
Marilyn Tango, 55; Lake Mary, FL, USA
posted on 2007-01-10 11:50:05

Hi Handsome Sweetheart:)Hope 2-day better 4 u than y'day!We are ALL praying/holding good/positive thoughts for you!Hang in there, it WILL get better:)Love You 2 Pieces:)xxooxxoo
Lynne, 62; Sonora, CA, USA-BARBARO NATION
posted on 2007-01-10 11:17:47

Dear Barbaro, My heart goes out to you today as I hear you have suffered a setback and some pain. I am praying constantly for you today. I am so heartbroken that you have yet another challenge to overcome. Your racing fan, Mary Prater
Mary, 60; Snohomish, WA, USA
posted on 2007-01-10 11:13:19

Hey, I think it's great that these women can take time out of their busy schedule of feeding their 47 cats and posting messages to spend an entire day praying for Barbaro. Did I mention that HE IS A FUCKING HORSE?

If it's all the same to them, I think if I'm going to say any prayers, I'll say them for my friend's dad who is having a brain tumor removed tomorrow. Or maybe for the 13-year-old girl who was brutally raped on Monday in St. Paul on her way to the school bus. You know, people.

3 comments:

DS said...

I am an avid Horse Racing fan and when any horse breaks down I get a bad feeling especially if I am watching the race. And of course if I have money on it. But I definitely would like to see Barbaro get better. But I would NEVER post on a message board that shit.

Some people have too much time on their hands

Virginia Belle said...

i just wanted to say that i love your labels! "batshit insane", "middle-aged cat ladies"

you crack me up.

you also make a good point in this post. too much time, indeed.

Jess said...

Hahahahahaha. Thanks. Those are the kinds of labels I hope I get to use a lot more often.