31 January 2007

Rant: Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm


I'm going to have to give the latest version of Burt's Bees lip balm a huge thumbs down. It's been out for a while, but I didn't try it until recently. Why do I try new things when I have something that works fabulously? In this case, it was because I stopped to get a lip balm and the place only had the honey version. I was desperate. I cannot live without my lip balm.

The first problem with the honey lip balm is the fragrance. Ugh. Gross. Honey does have a fairly floral scent, but man, is it strong in this lip balm. It should be noted that I rarely like the scent of any product with honey in the name. I'm thinking mainly of the "milk and honey" soaps and their ilk. I know the peppermint scent of the original lip balm is strong, as well. I probably shouldn't have been surprised.

However, my main problem with the honey lip balm is that when I use it, my lips end up much more rough than they were say, in the morning before I put any lip balm on. That kind of defeats the purpose, no? I shouldn't have to bust out the toothbrush and sugar because Booty Call Matt is on his way over and my lips are gross. He manages to somehow keep whatever scruff is on his face nice and soft -- to the point where I can't remember having stubble burn even one time in more than two years of making out with him. He shouldn't have to kiss my rough lips.

Plus, it bugs the ever-loving bejeebus out of me when my lips are rough. I have a hard enough time keeping my lips in decent shape in the winter. So, good-bye Burt's Bee's Honey Lip Balm. You suck.

No comments: