22 November 2006

I feel like a grown-up.

I guess technically I am a grown-up. I mean, I'm 32 for Christ's sake. I rarely feel like a grown-up, though.

I'm having The Lesbians over for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. And possibly another guest. Me. Hosting Thanksgiving. How did this happen? I'm only doing part of the cooking and we'll probably eat in the living room. But it's still the first holiday gathering I've ever hosted.

There is the tiniest bit of guilt hovering over me for not going down to the farm. However, a few years ago I told my parents that I was going to start spending Thanksgiving with my friends. The first two years it turned out that everyone was in the Minneapolis area, so I could do both the family and friends thing. Last year there were some break ups and new partners and everyone scattered, so I went home, too. There will be at most four of us this year, but I don't think the size of the group really matters that much. And if you looked at our menu, you might think there were 10 people coming for dinner.

I'm looking forward to maybe being able to get up and go to the gym before I have to do anything tomorrw. I can drink and not have to worry about staying overnight or stopping early enough so I can drive 75 miles home, because I want to sleep in my own bed. We can eat whenever we want. We can watch football -- while we eat, even!

This is really cool. It should be a lot of fun.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

2 comments:

csmc said...

Hope everything went well! Happy late Thanksgiving. I didn't spent it with family this year either and I have to say I think I had a hell of a lot more fun, lol! :P

Christine said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you survived the guilt. I can't decide if I should go home for Xmas. At some point, people have to realize that just because you're not married or don't have kids doesn't mean you don't have a life of your own... kudos!