06 November 2006

Get out the vote, bitches!

I've still not made up my mind about how I'm going to vote in the governor's race tomorrow. It is really looking like a game-time decision. I think I'll know the right thing to do when I step in the booth.

On Saturday, I went home to the farm with my sister and nephew. We were at the house for about three hours before taking off to do some shopping. In that time, my parents had at least four pre-recorded political calls. I had two calls last week from Minneapolis Mayor, R.T. Rybak. I arrived home yesterday to find several pieces of campaign literature stuffed in the crevices around my front door. In short, I'll just be so glad when it's over.

I know there are many people out there who are frustrated by all of the ugly, ugly campaigning. But we still have to vote. It wasn't that long ago that women and blacks couldn't vote. I just can't understand why people wouldn't vote, when so many people worked so hard and suffered so much to give us this right. I mean, people fucking gave their lives so you could take some time out of your day to cast your ballot. So, what the hell are you waiting for? VOTE, dammit.

I'll even help you out with some information, if you live in Minnesota.

Did you know you can find your polling place in a flash?

Did you know that Minnesota allows you to register on Election Day?

Guess what! Minnesota law requires employers to give you time off without loss of pay to vote the morning of the election.

What else do you need to know?

Plus, you get that nifty little "I VOTED" sticker to wear with pride all day long. Polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. Get out there and vote, slacker.

2 comments:

AmyD said...

Damn, I could really use someone like you in my state (Michigan) right now. And if you think politics is annoying around this time (as I do, completely...), try WORKING in it! Ugh, it's total bullshit.

Thanks for doing your civic duty and voting, as well as working to get out the vote.

Oh, and I'm shy, but liked your blog, and linked you. Hope you won't come to MI and kick my ass now that you know where I live. ;o)

Jess said...

I've worke in government so I don't know why I'm complaining. It's not like I'm not aware of what happens.

Also, right after I wrote this, I got a call (okay, a pre-recorded message) from Bill Clinton and I'm still all aflutter. God, I'm a dork.

I shan't come and kick your ass, AmyD. How can I if you like my blog? And thanks for all the work you are doing, too. Keep on fighting the good fight.