18 October 2006

It begins.

I made my trek to Southdale (America's first enclosed mall! They're celebrating the 50th anniversary this year. Or something.) last night to pick up my lip exfoliant. Being a creature of habit, I parked outside Macy's on the second level and walked into the men's department. Back in the Dayton's/Marshall Field's days, I worked in the Polo section and I constantly broke the parking rules. I'm such a rebel. I know.

As I walked into the door I saw the sight I've been dreading: red-draped tables stacked high with over-priced board games and weird gifts for people you don't really like, but for whom you have to get something, anything. Yesterday was October 17 and the Christmas shit is already out. Halloween is still more than 10 days away. Really, it shouldn't have been a surprise. Back when I worked at Dayton's/Field's, they would set up the Trim the Home shop in September. I worked in advertising, too, I know how early retailers start gearing up for the holidays. But it still bugs me every year.

Incidently, after two applications my lip exfoliant is not doing a very good job. I'll give it two more and if it doesn't work, back it goes. For $18 it should work better than the plain sugar I scrubbed on my lips Monday night. You're on notice, Smashbox. I bought a lip gloss, too. The color? Sassy, of course. I mean, it was like a sign. I'm not going to ignore that kind of a sign from the Universe. I could have spent hundreds of dollars just in the Smashbox section alone. I think making it out with $35 worth of lip products is quite an accomplishment. Especially if I end up returning half of it.

4 comments:

Edward Buendia said...

Lip Gloss?! I thought this Blog was about Sports? I'm confused...

Jess said...

Sports, make up, music ... I'm a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a vest. And my blog is the same.

Christine said...

The court clerks at the Family Justice Center have tinsel out! WTF!!!! I swear I saw tinsel! No, no, noooooh!

L'Austin Translation said...

Jess: I got this lip exfoliator from a friend that's awesome. I'll have to send you the name once I get home.

It helped with the worst case of chapped lips in history.