23 October 2006

In a good place.

For some reason, over the last week or so, I've been talking with several different friends about my dating life, or lack thereof. And it turns out, I actually like the "lack thereof" part of it.

I think getting away from my life for a few days when I went to my cousin's wedding helped me to solidify my position. The last thing I wanted to do when I got back was think about trying to find time to go out on a date or hang out with someone. I want to do whatever I want on my own schedule. I want to come home and watch The Simpsons, then go to the gym. After my workout, I want to putz around my apartment and drink a beer. Then I'll take a shower. I want to schedule impromptu happy hours with my friends. I want to decide at the last minute on a Saturday night that I'm going to head out to see a band. I want to get drunk and play DJ in my living room on a Friday night and go to bed at 10:30.

I'm not saying I'm through with dating. However, it's going to take someone pretty goddamn special to make me interested in disrupting my life. Because I like my life. I have a great group of friends. Not only that, but I like hanging out with myself. I have a good time. I most certainly do not want to date someone who flakes out on me or someone who is always complaining about me being busy or complaining that he's bored. In the last year, I can count on one hand (okay, three fingers, really) the number of guys who really intrigued me. And I was with one of them for seven months.

Carrie said she was happy to hear my rantings and ravings on this. She thinks it means that I'm in a really good place. Sweet. Now, I need to go buy a costume that shows off the girls for the Halloween party on Saturday night. There might be straight boys there. Just because I don't want to date someone doesn't mean I want to take a vow of celibacy, you know.

2 comments:

csmc said...

Here here! I totally agree and feel you on this topic. It's weird but I think it's important to have stability in one's life before they figure out how to work a girl/boy friend into the equation!

L'Austin Translation said...

Hey, I've just jumped onto the "slutty Halloween costume bandwagon." I figure that Halloween is the one day that you can be something you're not. Why not throw slutty into the mix? Plus it's fun to tell people you're going to be a slutty ______.

And yes, that celibacy stuff is for the birds. And priests. And nuns.

It sounds like you and me both have gotten to a good place in terms of what makes you happy. It SHOULD come from within.