12 September 2006

Doing my civic duty.


I'm a nerd. I get totally geeked up for voting. In the primaries. For state offices. I wear my "I Voted" sticker with pride.

I get choked up sometimes when I try to explain to people why voting is so important. I even cried once when I voted. It was in 2002, when I should have been voting for Paul Wellstone. It was a small consolation that I had the opportunity to vote for Walter Mondale. When he ran for president in 1984 with Geraldine Ferraro, I wanted so desperately to be old enough to vote for the first man from a major party who chose a woman as his running mate. I also cried when Jimmy Carter lost to Ronald Reagan, because I'd voted for Carter in our classroom's Weekly Reader election. Yeah, I started early.

The election judges at my polling place were all very friendly and seemed quite happy to be there. I love that. I love that there are people who care enough to spend a day making sure things run smoothly. I love the feeling I get when I feed my ballot into the machine (I was number 55 today). Oh, and when I get that sticker ... I really, really love taking part in the process.

No comments: