19 August 2006

Who needs the farmer's market?


The parental units came up today for their grandson's first soccer game of the year. Mom called me last week to ask what I wanted from the garden, so I asked what would be ready. She proceeded to go off on this litany of vegetables. I said I wanted everything but tomatoes. I don't like them enough to actually do anything with them myself.

When I arrived at my sister's place this morning, there were mom and dad, going through these bags and bags of veggies. It was like the farmers' market exploded all over the back of their Tahoe. They brought stuff for me, my brother and my sister and nephew. There was just so much. The picture above is only part of my haul, I put the rest of the stuff away. I got:

  • cucumbers
  • carrots
  • green pepper
  • potatoes
  • an onion
  • part of a cabbage
  • the foulest smelling broccoli ever
  • sweet corn
  • apricot jam
  • raspberry jam
  • an apple pie
  • bratwurst
  • ground pork
  • pork chops
  • apples


  • I have no idea how I will possibly get all of this eaten. Well, all of the veggies anyway. But dammit, I'm going to give it a shot. First on the agenda is that god-awful smelling broccoli. Hopefully the smell will go away once it's cooked. Or it will get worse and I'll never get rid of the smell.

    2 comments:

    Christine said...

    Nice blog! Now I can go to one place to read about your life. I look forward to future posts Ms. Minnesota Daily.

    csmc said...

    I <3 fresh veggies, that is so awesome that you can score that kind of stuff off the 'rents.