20 July 2006

Where have all the copy editors gone?

As I'm perusing the Star Tribune today, I realize that I've been seeing far more stories with mistakes in them than I ever used to see. Is it the advent of the online newspaper that has brought about more errors? I really don't remember seeing so many when I would read the actual paper.

In this AP story about the first wave of evacuees to return to the U.S. from Lebanon, I find this sentence: "Amal Kazzaz, who had been visiting relatives in Lebanon, was sadden to see a once-beautiful country torn apart." She was sadden, huh? It reads like one of those Nigerian scam e-mails. Toward the end of the same article is this paragraph:
He said some could be children traveling alone. Others include students, government employees and people on vacation. They may need help with food, lodging and connecting with loved ones, he said. The health department planned to have licensed social workers on hand for those who might need counseling, especially any children traveling along.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that social workers might be more necessary for children traveling alone, rather than along.

I saw a headline link somewhere else on the Strib's site that had the word "Europ" in it. I'm fairly certain there is an "e" at the end of "Europe." Of course, I can't find it now. But it was there. It may just be my imagination, but I could swear I see more mistakes on Thursday than any other day of the week. Or are my eyes hypervigilant on Thursdays? No, that's silly.

Whatever the reason, it's inexcusable. With the sheer number of eyes that read each news story before it gets to the printer/uploaded to the website, silly errors like that should be caught. Have a little pride in your work, people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May want to do some research before blogging, but just to be clear Amal Kazzaz is a woman. (You mentioned her as a "he".) This is very clearly noted in the following articles as well as in a host of others:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/21/AR2006072100250.html?sub=AR
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=854343
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/20/world/main1819841.shtml

Please do research before posting.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Jess said...

My most sincere apologies to Amal Kazzaz. The story I read is no longer available, but it did not give any indication to gender. Correction made.

Perhaps that was another casualty of the poor editing of the piece I read. Which was the point of the blog.