14 July 2006

Itching for ink.

I was noticing the tattoos of the girl sitting in front of me on the bus this morning. Hers were situated so that if you were facing her and looked down at the insides of her wrists, the tattoos would be right-side up for you.

My tattoo is situated so that it is right-side up for me. If I'm going to show it to someone who is facing me, I have to hold my arm up and turn it around. When I got this tattoo, I thought long and hard about which way it would go. Ultimately, I decided since it's for me and I'm going to want to look at it, I don't want to have to be doing all kinds of maneuvering to be able to see it. I have to do enough of that with the two on my back. And I'm a major dork in that I do often stare lovingly at my ink for ridiculously long periods of time.

What this all boils down to is this: the itch came back today in full force. I've known it was lurking in the shadows for a while now. But I'd not yet felt that deep, burning desire for the needle. Not any more. I need a new tattoo, and soon. Next month, it'll have been two years since my last one.

The question now is which one do I get next? Probably the Celtic knotwork bracelet that's been filed away for a few years. Of course, the urge always hits when I'm broke as fuck. I'm hoping to swing it by the end of the year, but I might just wait until the big 33 in February. Regardless, I want it, I need it, I have to have it!

No comments: