28 July 2006

I don't want to jinx it.

I think I'm a far more superstitious person than I would ever admit to anyone. Or even to myself. There's something happening tonight that I really want to write about, but I fear putting the words on the screen will jinx things. And quite frankly, I don't need that on my conscience. So, I'll continue crossing my fingers and hope that everything works out.

Though, I'm not sure how writing about it in my blog would jinx it, but all the talking to people I've been doing about it for weeks now will not jinx it. In my mind, anyway, I guess.

I worry about jinxing things all the time. Trash-talking to my friends who are Packer, Badger or Hawkeye fans is always dicey for me. They're Minnesota's biggest rivals. I'm a firm believer in karma and I always think that if I start talking shit too soon in a game or something, it will come back to bite me in the ass. So I wait until the final seconds of the clock tick down before making a call or sending that text message. And even then, if it's early in the season, I'll keep it light. Tides can turn very quickly in either direction. If my team starts going in the crapper, I want my tormenters to remember the mercy I showed them.

The same thing goes for guys. When do you tell your friends? You don't want to talk about him too early because then you might jinx it. Lord knows I'm guilty of that. Or when you're going somewhere with your friends and he has said he was going to show up ... you kinda like him, so you're excited and you slip and tell your friends that he said he was going to stop by. Or you're supposed to have plans with him and you tell a friend after you've had a couple of drinks and your internal censor is asleep at the switch. As the clock ticks away, you find out he's not coming, because he forgot or fell asleep or whatever. And it isn't because he's being lame or doesn't want to see you but can't tell you that for whatever reason -- it's because you jinxed it by telling your friends. Or you jinxed it for yourself simply by believing it might actually happen. Silly girl.

Oddly enough though, black cats, broken mirrors, spilled salt, Friday the 13th, walking under ladders ... those things mean nothing to me. I'm not that brand of superstitious, I guess.

So, I'll keep my fingers from typing out the plans for tonight and I'll write about it after it happens. I'm not going to be the one to screw this up. Now watch me do it somehow anyway.

No comments: