10 July 2006

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. So I did both.

I am a moviegoing fool! Well, by my standards, anyway. Saturday, Carrie and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. It was everything you could want in a summer blockbuster -- lots of action, physical comedy, swashbuckling at every turn, Johnny Depp in eyeliner and semi-shirtless, often-wet Orlando Bloom. I loved it. Carrie wished for more plot development, but ... it's a sequel, for one thing. It was eye candy, pure and simple.

Speaking of candy, I saw Strangers With Candy yesterday. It's the movie prequel to the TV show of the same name. I laughed until I cried. I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. I need to see it again because I was laughing and missed dialogue. It was wholly inappropriate. It was just what I needed yesterday afternoon.

However, the laughing/crying dilemma referenced in the title to this blog entry was not about Jerri Blank's attempt to bring her daddy out of his coma. No. It's about one of the previews we saw before Pirates.

The preview for Rocky VI.

You know, it was all fun and games to giggle about the possibility of this movie when I first read about it (and the Rambo sequel). But actually seeing the trailer really messed with my head. Carrie thought it was a joke. Had I not read about this months ago, I would have sworn it was a preview for some Rocky parody movie. Alas, I knew this thing was in production. Or at least I knew that Sylvester Stallone was trying to make the movie. Perhaps I went into denial after reading the initial reports.

Quite frankly, it makes me a little sad. I LOVE the Rocky movies. If pressed to pick my favorite, I could get as close as a tie between "Rocky" and ""Rocky IV." Yeah, the first one is cool and all, but come on. "Rocky IV" had all the classic lines. Okay, maybe I'm picking that one for the wrong reasons. Whatever. They're my reasons.

But let's face it, by "Rocky V," things were getting a little pathetic. I'm not going to say that I won't watch it if I come across it on TV, but I have low standards when there is nothing else on. It's like an great athlete not knowing when to hang it up (*cough*Jerry Rice*cough*). They were so incredible in their prime, but when they're rocking cornrows with a fivehead bigger than Tyra Banks's and trying to catch on as a fourth or fifth receiver with a team, it just makes you sad to watch it happen. And then they end up on "Dancing With the Stars" and you wonder if there really is a God.

I digress. "Rocky VI" is real. It looks like it might end up being terrible. The chance for unintentional hilarity is very, very good. One of the scenes had Stallone saying something that was completely unintelligible. It's like he's become the parody of himself that I've seen on "Family Guy."

I still don't know whether to laugh or cry.

No comments: